2023 January Construction Update
11:54AM February 01, 2023
***DATES BELOW EACH ZONE ARE ESTIMATED MAINLINE CONSTRUCTION DATES***
See "Important Definitions" below for more details.
- Mainline Construction - the first step in building HomeWorks Connect's service through an area. This step involves installing the fiber cables that carry internet service across our service territory. Once the fiber cables are hung on the lines or buried underground, many more steps must take place before homes can be installed so, although mainline construction being completed is exciting, it doesn't mean that your home will be installed within a few days. Your home installation may still be weeks or months out. For an update on your specific location, you are always able to call our office at 800-668-8413.
- Splicing - this is the process that connects fiber cables together. Since fiber cables are made of glass, a splicer's job is to melt the glass strands together so that the light that carries your internet service can travel where they need to go. There are two main types of splicing that must be completed: mainline splicing and drop splicing. Mainline splicing takes place between large fiber cables on the mainline while drop splicing is the process that connects your home to the mainline. Once your drop is spliced, your home installation can be installed.
- Drop - The drop is the piece of fiber cable that connects the mainline to your home. These typically follow the path that your electric service takes to get to your home and if an alternate route is needed, a site plan may be required before the drop to your home can be built. Once your drop is built, a second crew will come to splice the drop and finally, you will be called to have your home installation scheduled.
- In the Knott zone, mainline construction is complete. Splicing is ongoing with hopes to begin connecting homes in this area in within the next month.
- Sassafras zone has mainline construction 100% complete. Drops to homes will begin being built in this area soon.
- Oxbow zone mainline construction is complete. Splicing wrapping up with hopes to begin connecting homes in this zone within the coming month.
- Diamond zone mainline construction is complete. Hoping to begin building drops to homes within the coming month.
- Pearl zone mainline construction is 66% complete. Splicing will begin here when splicing wraps up in the Oxbow zone.
- Vandecar zone mainline construction is 53% Complete. Will begin splicing mainline when Diamond zone wraps up and drops to homes will follow.
- Littlefield zone mainline construction has began.
- Evergreen zone mainline construction is 20% complete.
- Drop production has been good. In most weeks, we've been able to build drops to 50 homes a week, although we did have a few short weeks with the holidays.
- Working on onboarding another drop contactor to help increase the number of home installs we are able to complete.
- Still burying as many drops to homes as possible. The warmer weather has allowed us to do this longer into the year than we normally would, which will help reduce work in the spring.
- Installations have been more steady with increased drop production.